Do you remember this post from last month telling you about a collaborative project my friend Lindsay Starr and I were doing? She sent me these:
And I sent her these:
Our challenge was to make something using the other person's pieces and our own techniques. Lindsay had hers finished in no time at all:
I'm just going to show you this little teaser here. If you want to see the whole piece she made, you'll want to pop over to her blog. It's worth the trip, let me tell you. After she set the bar so high, I was really sweating my piece using her beaded components. For some reason I was set on trying to make a sugar skull and since I've never tried knotting one before, it was a lot of trial and error.
My pieces are usually fairly simple, but I wanted something much more complex for Lindsay. I struggled.
I struggled a LOT.
I put the skull in and I took the skull out (I did the Hokey Pokey....). Nothing "felt" right. I finally ended up with this:
I'm still not quite happy with it. I think now that I have to remove the top coral colored circle with the seed bead flower in it. Or maybe move it more to the left - I'm not sure. At this rate, Lindsay might get this necklace in time for next year's Day of the Dead. It's a good thing she's patient.